Drinking safe water can protect you from many deadly water-borne diseases. Despite knowing this fact, a lot of us end up consuming the water from contaminated sources without treating it properly which makes us vulnerable to the mentioned diseases.
Ofcourse, you could boil water before consuming it (like we did it in the olden days), but it isn’t effective in case of high-level contamination. The good thing is, you can get a modern water purifier that has advanced technologies like as RO, UV, TDS, etc. Not only does it kill the germs, but also remove other pollutants and make the water safe for drinking.
In case you’re looking for a good quality water purifier then you’ve landed at the right place because our team tested around 47 different water purifiers and treated the hardest waters which were highly polluted and are here with the list of the best water purifying options.
One important note: Not everyone in our country can afford buying a water purifier, in case you’re considering to purchase one then you already are in a better condition than millions of others who end up consuming muddy water. As humans, I’d request all of you to segregate waste and dispose it properly. (I know it’s the industrial waste that harms the water bodies, but you’ll be shocked to know that most of our home/office waste also ends up there.)
So, let’s get started with the list of best water purifiers available in India.
- 13 Best Water Purifiers in India To Consider in 2021
- 1. Eureka Forbes Aquasure from Aquaguard Smart Plus 6-Litres RO+UV+MTDS Water Purifier
- 2. Eureka Forbes Aquasure from Aquaguard Amrit 20-Litre Water Purifier
- 3. Havells Max 7-litres RO UV Water Purifier
- 4. KENT Grand 8-Litres Wall-Mountable RO + UV/UF + TDS Controller (White) 15 ltr/hr Water Purifier
- 5. HUL Pureit Advanced 23 L Water Purifier – 3000 L
- 6. Blue Star Aristo RO+UF AR3BLAM01 7-Litre Water Purifier
- 7. TTK Prestige Tattva 2.0 Copper 16-Liter Water Purifier
- 8. Eureka Forbes Aquasure from Aquaguard Aquaflo DX 18-Watt UV Water Purifier
- 9. Blue Star Majesto MA4BSAM02 8-Litre RO + UV Water Purifier
- 10. KENT Gold Optima 10-Litres Gravity Based Non-electric Water Purifier
- 11. Prestige Non-Electric Acrylic Water Purifier PSWP 2.0, 18 L
- 12. Havells UV Plus 8-litres UF Water Purifier
- 13. HUL Pureit Advanced RO+MF 6 Stage 5L Water Purifier
- Best Water Purifier Brands in India:
- How To Choose The Best Water Purifiers in India – The Buyer’s Guide
- FAQs Regarding Best Water Purifiers in India:
- 1. What problems could untreated water cause?
- 2. What are the purification options available?
- 3. Why is a combination of UV, UF, and RO necessary when UV lights kill all bacteria and viruses?
- 4. How does Reverse Osmosis complement UV systems?
- 5. How do I purify hard water?
- 6. What purifier should I use for soft water?
- 7. How often should one change filter cartridges?
- 8. How much energy does the average water purifier consume?
- 9. How often should the water purifier be cleaned?
- 10. Why is after-sale service an important consideration?
- 11. Do water purifiers use safe plastics?
- 12. How much water can purifiers hold on an average?
- 13. What can one do if their purifier starts leaking?
13 Best Water Purifiers in India To Consider in 2021
|Aquaguard Smart Plus 6-Litres||Check on Amazon|
|Aquaguard Amrit 20-Litre|
|Havells Max 7-litres|
|KENT Grand 8-Litres|
|HUL Pureit Advanced 23 L|
|Blue Star Aristo RO+UF|
|TTK Prestige Tattva|
|Aquaguard Aquaflo DX 18-Watt|
|Blue Star MA4BSAM02 8-Litre|
|KENT Gold Optima||Check on Amazon|
|Prestige Water Purifier||Check on Amazon|
|Havells UV Plus 8-litres||Check on Amazon|
|HUL Pureit 5L||Check on Amazon|
1. Eureka Forbes Aquasure from Aquaguard Smart Plus 6-Litres RO+UV+MTDS Water Purifier
- Technology: RO+UV+MTD
- Capacity: 6 litres
- Operating Voltage: 150 V – 270 V AC/50 Hz
- Can be used for all kinds of water
- Taste of water can be altered with the TDS controller
This water purifier with a clarity cartridge found outside the unit. To ensure clean water that also tastes good, this purifier has an MTDS controller. It helps you alter the taste of the water depending on the source.
TDS refers to total dissolved solids in water which include metals dissolved in water like calcium, chloride, sulphur, nitrate, iron, etc. which affect the taste of the water. The MTDS controller helps alter the level of these metals in the water letting you alter its taste.
You can use this water purifier when the TDS count is between 200 and 2000. The smart energy-saving mode helps you save power by switching off the power when it’s full. This water purifier also comes with a user manual and installation kit.
This purifier is suitable for water from all sources like borewells, taps, and tankers. It has a sleek black design with a touch of blue highlights. This particular make of water purifiers comes with a light that changes colour to indicate when the tank is full when the water flow pressure is low. The light also indicates a lack of water supply or any error with the machine. It also indicates when the product has reached the end of its life.
The product has a warranty of 1 year and also offers protection from voltage fluctuations. You can keep this water purifier on a table or opt for wall installation.
- Uses RO and UV technologies ensuring clear and pure water
- TDS level can be adjusted manually
- Noise-free and fills the water very fast
- Auto shut helps save power
- Easy to use
- Overflows occasionally even after switching off the power
- Occasional leakage of water from its filters
2. Eureka Forbes Aquasure from Aquaguard Amrit 20-Litre Water Purifier
- Technology: Gravity based
- Capacity: 20 litres
- Operating Voltage: Nil
- Toughened body made of unbreakable material
- Can operate without running water or electricity
As it runs without electricity, this water purifier would be the right choice for anyone in smaller towns and rural areas. With a large body that holds 20 litres of water, it is very effective in meeting the daily water consumption needs of an average Indian family. The product comes with a warranty for a year.
The research team at Eureka Forbes carried out extensive study and experiments and came up with the unique “Kitanu Magnet Nanotechnology”. The major advantage of this technology is that it uses no chemicals in the purification process ensuring crystal clear water for you and your family. This water purifier is also powered by Positive Charge Technology, which acts as a safety shield, further purifying the water.
This purifier has three filters working for it. The microfibre mesh does the initial filtering eliminating the bigger particles from the water, including sand or mud. The carbon trap removes any chemical impurities and any odor improving the taste of the water. Finally, the Eureka Forbes patented filter, Kitanu Magnet Cartridge removes all bacteria and germs.
- Runs without electricity or running water
- 100% purification from all germs
- High storage capacity
- Three-stage purifying through three filters
- Easy installation
- Ineffective for water with high TDS
- Regular choking of the magnet
3. Havells Max 7-litres RO UV Water Purifier
- Technology: RO+UV
- Capacity: 7 litres
- Operating Voltage: 170 V to 330 V AC/50 Hz
- Seven Stage Purification
- Voltage fluctuation protection
This water purifier comes with a seven-stage purification process. In the first stage, the water passes through the sediment cartridge where sand, dust, silt, clay and other such suspended impurities are removed.
The second stage involves the water passing through the activated carbon cartridge. This stage sees the removal of organic impurities like pesticides, chlorine, and bad odor.
In the third stage, the water is made to pass through the RO membrane, which removes dissolved impurities and all heavy metals like iron.
The next stage is the germicidal UV, which helps remove microbiological impurities. The fifth stage remineralizes the water by adding essential minerals and salts for healthier water.
The sixth stage of silver-impregnated taste-enhancing improves the taste of the water by removing all organic residue. The last stage sees improving the hydration capacity of the water, which helps your body absorb minerals more effectively. The given image further explains the process.
Therefore, the purification process in this water purifier ensures that you get 100% safe water. The product also comes with a mechanism that protects it from voltage fluctuations and to alert you in the event of any malfunction. The tank is removable, which makes it easy to use.
- Alert Mechanism
- Removable tank
- Seven stage purification
- Easy installation
- Healthier water
- High maintenance cost
- Poor after-sales service
4. KENT Grand 8-Litres Wall-Mountable RO + UV/UF + TDS Controller (White) 15 ltr/hr Water Purifier
- Technology: RO + UV + UF + TDS Control
- Capacity: 8 litres
- Operating Voltage: 100-300 V AC/50-60 Hz
- Easy to install
The purification process in this water filter involves multiple stages. The first stage has the water passing through a sediment filter. This stage removes all the particulate matter and suspended solids. In the second stage, the water is passed through the activated carbon filter which removes chlorine and organic compounds. This stage also rids the water of bad odor.
The third stage, the most crucial one, involves RO purification that passes the water through a semipermeable filter at a pressure of 30-40 psi. While it is done, the suspended impurities including lead, pesticides, sulfates, and nitrates. The fourth stage ensures the removal of macromolecules as the water is passed through a UF membrane with a very small pore size of 0.01 micron.
The fifth stage uses the TDS controller to make up for the loss of minerals in the previous stage. This gives healthier water enriched with minerals. The sixth stage puts the water to UV filtration using a UV lamp pf 11 watt. It removes all microorganisms making the water safer and free of germs. The seventh and last stage involves improving the taste of the water.
This water purifier is suitable for tap and municipal corporation water. It is also capable of adjusting the TDS level in the water. It also has an alarm that alerts you in the event of any malfunction. The warranty is one year, and this model switches on and off by itself. It also flushes by itself. There is also an indicator to show you when the filter has to be changed.
Coming with an attractive offer of four years of free service, this water purifier uses state of the art purification technology giving you crystal clear healthy water.
- Alarms to alert you about filter changes and any malfunction
- Usable for water from multiple sources
- Retains essential minerals with its TDS controller
- The large storage capacity of purified water
- Easy installation
- High maintenance cost
- Storage tank overflows occasionally
5. HUL Pureit Advanced 23 L Water Purifier – 3000 L
- Technology: Gravity based
- Capacity: 23 litres
- Operating Voltage: Nil
- Effective virus removal
- Break-resistant tap
Coming with a practical design, this water purifier doesn’t need power or running water. It is also very easy to maintain and install. This is a gravity-based water purifier.
This purifier purifies the water through two very effective levels. The first level has the water passing through the GermKill processor. This technology can kill as much as 1 crore virus in 1 litre of water. Then the water is made to pass through an advanced Microfibre Mesh removing the visible dirt and larger particles. This is followed by the water passing through the Carbon Polisher which removes parasites, chlorine, and pesticides to give water that is odorless and natural tasting.
In the second level of purification, the water reaches the Microcharged Membrane. Here the water is purified once more with the removal of harmful parasites. So, this method of purification gives you double protection.
This water purifier comes with an imported micro charged membrane ensuring more effective purification of the water for you. It is made of non-toxic plastic and is food safe. The product has earned recognition from the Environmental Protection Agency, USA as having met its criteria effectively in the removal of bacteria and viruses. The warranty period is for six months. It also has a break-resistant tap.
- Automatic shut off
- Large storage capacity
- Advance alert on when the germ-killing kit needs change
- Made with safe material
- Tough and durable
- Unsuitable for water with high TDS
- Incapable of removing heavy metals
6. Blue Star Aristo RO+UF AR3BLAM01 7-Litre Water Purifier
- Technology: RO+UF
- Capacity: 7 litres
- Operating Voltage: 220 to 240 volts
- Aqua Taste Booster helps enhance the water taste
- Compact and stylish
This product employs the six-stage purification process giving you clean and healthy water. It offers double-layered RO and UF protection. RO removes all dissolved impurities like heavy metals and microorganisms while UF removes all the physical impurities like bacteria and cysts. The Aqua Taste Booster uses calcite media, maintaining an optimum pH level, improving the taste of the water.
This water purifier uses copper impregnated activated carbon to eliminate all organic impurities that give the water a bad odor and poor taste. This process gives the use of crystal clear water, which also tastes good.
This product uses the six-stage purification process to give you water that is not only safe, but it tastes sweet too. The process includes pre-sediment filter, pre-carbon filter with antiscalant balls, a sediment filter, an RO membrane, the post-carbon filter with the Aqua Taste Booster and finally, the UF membrane. The figure below illustrates the process. It also comes with a child lock button so that the tank isn’t left empty accidentally by the little one in your house, leaving you in trouble. It has a super-fine filter of 5 microns that filters out even the finest particle of dust and sand. It also has a seven-litre large tank and comes with handy indicators like low-pressure alert.
- Six stage purification
- Low-Pressure Alert System
- Child Lock Button
- Twelve litres per hour purification capacity
- The Aqua Taste Booster
- Prone to malfunctioning occasionally
- Poor after-sales service
7. TTK Prestige Tattva 2.0 Copper 16-Liter Water Purifier
- Technology: Gravity based
- Capacity: 16 litres
- Operating Voltage: Nil
- Chemicals free purification
- Copper water tank gives certain health benefits
The main advantage of this water purifier is that it works without electricity and needs no source of running water. It uses the traditional technology of storing water in copper to reap its benefits. This is the unique feature of this water purifier which sets it apart from others in the market.
This product has the natural and advanced Fibrillated Absorbent Cellulose Technology filter which is made from various immobilized absorbents created by fibrillated fibers. So the water is filtered through 3 stages and it removes 99.99% of harmful bacteria and cysts giving you clean water.
This purifier not only meets but exceeds the standards of the US Environmental Protection Agency set for testing microbiological water purifiers. The filter has a high filtration capacity of 9 litres per hour which is enough for the average Indian family.
The filter is also easy to handle and easy to clean. The cost of maintenance is also low and it retains the natural goodness of the water. Its total filtration capacity is an impressive 1500 litres. As it uses copper for filtration, it offers many health benefits. No chemicals are used either to filter the water.
- Copper water tank
- Health benefits
- High filtration capacity
- Easy to maintain
- Low operating cost
- Not suitable for very polluted water
- Prone to malfunctioning
8. Eureka Forbes Aquasure from Aquaguard Aquaflo DX 18-Watt UV Water Purifier
- Technology: UV technology
- Purification Stages: 3
- Rate of Flow of Water: Every minute, 2 litres of water
- Malfunction Indicators: Alerts in the event of any malfunction
- Dual Cartridge: Uses two filters to remove organic particles and odor
Using powerful UV technology that’s also very efficient, this water purifier has a UV lamp fitted inside. The lamp kills bacteria, germs and other viruses that cause illness. Having a maximum input pressure of 2.0 kg/sq. cm and a minimum of 0.4 kg/sq.cm, the dual cartridge ensures better water purification for you. The water you have is as pure as water would be if boiled for as long as 20 minutes. That’s why you’re ensured that there’ll be no recontamination.
The ultraviolet rays, absolutely lethal for bacteria and viruses, attack them so that they can’t reproduce. Without the addition of any chemicals, 99.99% of all microorganisms are killed. While a quartz glass forms a protective shield around the UV bulb. It is a must that this sleeve is of the correct quality allowing short wave UV light of 254 nanometers. Shortwave ultraviolet radiation band between 200 and 280 nanometres is called the “C” band or the UVC.
Combined with an adroit design, this makes water purifiers employ the latest technology. Being stylish looking it gives your home a modern look. The Eureka Forbes Aquasure Aquaflow DX makes your house look fabulous being a decoration piece in itself. Its compact design also helps save kitchen space for you. It’s just right for modular kitchens.
The Forbes Aquasure Aquaflow DX also has a voltage stabilizer that protects the instrument from the risks of frequent voltage fluctuations, a common occurrence in India.
- Purification rate is high
- Energy consumption is low
- No alteration in the taste of the water
- Retains the essential minerals
- In-built voltage stabilizer
- Not suitable for hard water
- Not suitable for water with a high level of total dissolved solids (TDS)
9. Blue Star Majesto MA4BSAM02 8-Litre RO + UV Water Purifier
- Technology: RO+UV
- Aqua Taste Booster: Uses Calcite Media to enhance the taste of the water
- Storage Capacity: 8 litres
- Child Lock: Helps prevent wastage of water
- Free Pre-filter: Delivered during installation
Coming in an attractive, sleek black avatar, this water purifier uses reverse osmosis and ultraviolet technology to purify your water. Therefore, the water first passes through a semi-permeable membrane. This removes most of the dissolved or suspended contaminants.
This is followed by UV purification. The water is treated with ultraviolet rays that destroy harmful microorganisms in the water that may cause illness. It is extremely efficient in removing germs and it destroys as much as 99.99% of harmful microorganisms. It attacks the genetic core of the microorganisms. This method is effective and environmentally safe too.
The tank is made of harmless food-grade plastic. This purifier also comes with a user manual. So, rest assured and enjoy crystal clear pure water.
- RO+UV technology ensures thorough purification of the water
- The child lock button on the tap ensures that there is no misuse
- Good looks
- Good after-sales service
- Good taste of purified water
- Lack of digital display
10. KENT Gold Optima 10-Litres Gravity Based Non-electric Water Purifier
- Technology: Ground-based water purifier
- Capacity: 10 litres
- Auto Shut-off: The machine shuts off by itself when it’s worn out
- No electricity required: Can operate without power or running water
- Economical: Has a yearly expense of only Rs.550/-
Kent Gold Optima leverages the ultrafiltration technique to deliver reliable water purification. The filter is gravity-based and removes microorganisms as well as impurities from your water.
The filters are collectively called the Kent Gold Optima Kit. The process of purifying the water is as follows:
- Sediment Filter: This water purifier has a filter of 10 microns or more. That’s why this purifier is very effective in removing flakes of rust that come from the pipes that the water flows through. It is also more than capable of removing grains of sand, small pieces of organic matter, and particles of clay.
- Nano Silver Carbon Activated Filter: The water in your house may contain chemicals and organic compounds. It may also have a strong bad odor. The activated carbon excels in removing them. On the other hand, silver bits that are only 100 nanometers in diameter constitute nanosilver. They are anti-microbes in nature. So, the activated carbon and the nanosilver elements work in tandem to give you clear and healthy water.
- UF Hydrophilic Membrane: With a pore size of 0.001 microns to 0.05 microns, the ultrafiltration membrane never allows any bacteria, parasite, virus or microbe to pass through.
With its engineering-grade sturdy plastic body, the Kent Gold Optima water purifier is strong, in fact unbreakable. It has a double storage filter. It filters out 4000 liters of water before needing a replacement. There are two tanks. While the one on the top stores 4.5 liters of water, the one below that stores 5.5 liters. Its sleek design adds a dash of style to your house giving it an uber look. Pretty effective when you’re looking to impress your guests!
This water purifier is just the right one for a small family. The best thing about it is that uses no chemicals or electricity for purification.
- Can operate without electricity
- Avoids the use of chemicals during filtration
- Storage capacity is high
- Maintenance is easy
- Attractive design
- Cannot be used for water having a high TDS count
- Not effective on the water with a poor taste and odor
11. Prestige Non-Electric Acrylic Water Purifier PSWP 2.0, 18 L
- Technology: Non-electric
- Capacity: 18 litres
- Two-stage water purification
- Uses no chemicals
- Can work without electricity and running water
This water purifier has a total storage capacity of 19 litres and its capacity to score filtered water is 9 litres.
Looking attractive with a transparent body, it is compact and can be placed anywhere in the house. As it has a filtration capacity of as much as 8 litres/hour, this purifier is just right for large families. It requires no electricity and has a life of around 1500 litres of water.
This product from Prestige uses two stages to purify water.
- The first stage of pre-filtration involves passing the water through a non-woven cloth. This removes the suspended impurities and other particulate elements.
- The second stage removes as much as 99.99% of bacteria, viruses, and other impurities when the water passes through the filter cartridge.
It is environment-friendly in its use of plastic and uses raw materials that are standard 42 compliant.
- No chemicals are used during filtration
- Reduces bad odor and chlorine content
- Can work without electricity or running water
- Attractive looks
- Ineffective on the water with a high level of impurities
- Not very sturdy
12. Havells UV Plus 8-litres UF Water Purifier
- Technology: UV+UF
- Storage Capacity: 7 litres
- Automatic Alerts alerting you about UV failure, the purification process, and a full tank
- Five stage purification process
- Voltage fluctuation protection protects the product from extreme and sudden voltage fluctuations
This make of water purifiers uses the powerful five-stage purification process.
- Sediment Cartridge: This stage sees the removal of fine suspended impurities like sand, dust, rust, clay, silt, etc. It helps raise the performance and enhance the life of the advanced filter.
- Activated Carbon Cartridge: The activated carbon cartridge removes the chlorine and any bad odor that the water may have. It also removes pesticides and herbicides.
- Germicidal UV: To disinfect the water, germicidal UV C at an optimum level of 235.7nm irradiation is used. It also frees the water of microbiological impurities.
- Ultra Filtration Cartridge: In this stage, the water is made to pass through a UF membrane which allows only the dissolved minerals and salts to pass. This stage of purification removes all algae, cysts, spores, bacteria and inorganic polymeric molecules from the water.
- Revitalizer Cartridge: This stage sees the water molecules being restructured. This makes it biologically active in improving mineral absorption and hydration. This actually helps make the water more healthy by increasing its capacity for hydration.
This purifier uses the dual technology of UV and UF. The water is given the UV treatment and then it passes through the UF membrane giving you clean and healthy water. This makes of water purifier also has convenient features like tank full, error alerts for UV failure, iProtect auto water cut-off to prevent wastage and alerts for self-diagnostics and purification process. The purifier also comes with protection from voltage fluctuations. The water purifier automatically trips the power if the voltage falls below 170V or rises above 310V as it performs best in the voltage range of 170V to 310V. The removable tank makes it easy to use.
- Uses dual technology of UV and UF
- Voltage fluctuation protection
- Automatic alerts
- Uses rigorous five-stage purification process
- Poor after-sales service
- Prone to leakage
13. HUL Pureit Advanced RO+MF 6 Stage 5L Water Purifier
- Technology: Advanced six stage involving RO+MF
- Capacity: 5 litres of filtered water
- Fully automatic
- Voltage Fluctuation Guard protects the purifier from fluctuations between 165V and 280V
- Sturdy and break-resistant
Another eye-catching water purifier from the house of HUL, its six-stage water purification process ensures that you get the safest and healthiest water. In fact, you would be happy to know that this make of purifiers meets the stringent norms of the USEPA. This makes for an ideal gift for your near and dear ones. What makes this make of water purifiers a particularly handy one is it’s being suitable for both large and smaller families.
This makes of filters uses the six-stage purification process. The first stage of sediment filtering allows removes the finer impurities and particulate matter and the dirt from the water. This helps raise the life of the carbon filter.
The second stage of pre-carbon filtering uses the pre-RO carbon filter effectively removing chlorine, pesticides and foul odor. In the third stage, the post-carbon sediment filter is put to action to remove the remaining impurities. This also improves the life of the RO membrane. In the fourth stage, the RO membrane removes dissolved salts and hardness. Heavy metals like iron and mercury are removed too.
The fifth stage involves the important step of microfiltration. It is the use of membranes with a pore size of 0.1-10 micron. It removes all the bacteria and viruses. The last stage sees the post-RO carbon filter come into play. This enhances the taste of the water by being a polisher.
The combination of RO+MF technology ensures crystal clear water. You can rest assured about the safety of your family. This also ensures a TDS reduction by 90%. It is capable of purifying 10-12 litres of water per hour. Made of engineering grade plastic, not only are these purifiers stylish, they are sturdy too. The Germ Kill KIt, the USP of this make of removes harmful and stubborn parasites and pesticides.
- Six stage purification ensures safe water
- 90% TDS removal turns hard water into soft water
- Protection from voltage fluctuation
- Sturdy and Stylish
- No display
- Storage capacity not enough
Now comes the question – why should you buy a water purifier at all? Well, it is at the very beginning of this article that we have told you about the vagaries of contaminated water. Especially in India, the dangers of contaminated water are profound.
Sadly, arsenic contamination of water is widespread in India. You must be a caring family member. Considering the existing circumstances, buying a water purifier is a must. Besides, it’s not just about drinking water that is safe, water purifiers actually make the water you take a healthy.
Read on to look into the details of how a water purifier helps. This will tell you just how important it is to buy one. We help you make a better choice as to which one you should buy and why. We also help you understand how many types of water purifiers there are, how they differ, and so on.
Now the question arises, which one should you buy? We shall check out the top brands.
Best Water Purifier Brands in India:
With the high level of water pollution in India, water purifiers have a pivotal role to play in almost every household. Gone are the days of water being stored in pitchers and pots in the corner. To meet today’s challenges of water pollution, water purifiers are the answer.
With the evolution of advanced technology, water purifiers have become even more effective. Advanced water purifiers are not only effective but also easy to use. And, there is one in the market to suit every budget.
With a plethora of brands available in the market, we have chosen the top ones after thorough research.
1. Eureka Forbes
A part of the Shapoorji Pallonji Group, Eureka Forbes is one of the leading health and hygiene brands in India. With a base of 20 million customers, the brand caters to 1500 cities and towns in India.
Speaking of its water purifiers, Eureka Forbes offers different models depending on the source of water, the technology used or and affordability. The brand offers various makes of purifiers that ensure pure and healthy water. It has earned considerable loyalty among consumers and has successfully built a strong brand image.
Its most recognizable product is the range of water purifiers with the brand name Aquaguard. The brand earned itself a good amount of positive publicity as the winner of 5 Prestigious UNESCO Water Digest Awards 2010-11. It has also won the Frost & Sullivan Award for the Best Company from the domestic point of use, Water treatment systems and Customer Service Leadership Award.
Kent RO Systems Limited is a pioneer in the field of water purifiers. That is because it was the first to introduce the revolutionary technology of reverse osmosis in its water purifiers in India.
Having set up its head office in Noida, Uttar Pradesh, the company has diversified into manufacturing other white goods too.
It has a strong presence in the SAARC countries and also exports its products to the Middle East and Kenya. With a market share of 40%, Kent has sold more than 225,000 water purifiers every year.
The reverse osmosis technology has been validated by UNESCO giving the company an enviable standing in the market.
3. Blue Star
Set up in 1943 by Mohan T Advani, the company made a humble beginning as a three-member team. A refrigeration company, it acquired the sole agency of the US-based Melchior Armstrong Dessau Company.
It was in 2018 that the company made its foray into the manufacturing of water purifiers. It introduced the ‘Immuno Boost Technology,’ considered unique as it raises the alkaline balance in the water and also provides antioxidants.
With a glorious legacy of 75 years, the company today has 5000 stores offering its products.
One of the largest electrical equipment companies in India, Havells started its journey in 1958. Today the company owns brands like Crabtree, Lloyd, and others, all of which are household names in India.
Today it has 23 branches employing more than 6000 in over 50 countries. It is ranked 125th among 1200 of India’s most trusted brands.
Having set itself up as one of India’s leading companies, Havells is today one of the top manufacturers of water purifiers in India.
5. HUL Pureit
Coming from the house of FMCG giant Unilever, Pureit is today the World’s Largest Selling water purifier brand. It has a presence in over 9 countries and sells a wide range of water purifiers using the latest and most innovative technologies like RO, UV, MF, and Oxytube.
Such is the technology used by Pureit, its filters can provide 4 litres of water which is as safe as boiled water at a cost of just Re. 1. What’s more, there’s no need for electricity or a continuous supply of water from a tap. It also saves you the hassle of boiling.
6. TTK Prestige
The company was set up in 1955 and by 1959, it had established itself as one of India’s leading sellers of pressure cookers. It is today a public limited company with its headquarters in Bengaluru.
TTK Prestige is known for having introduced the first gravity water purifier in India. Using this traditional method, this product combines gravity with the benefits of copper to offer purified water.
We have checked the brands. Now we come to a detailed analysis of the best makes of water purifiers available in the market in India. We have picked twelve water purifiers suitable for India.
How To Choose The Best Water Purifiers in India – The Buyer’s Guide
1. Why Should You Buy A Water Purifier?
While the reasons are many, the main considerations for buying a water purifier are –
- Protection from contaminated water
- Avoid tap water with a high content of chlorine
- Keep your bottles and utensils clean and hygienic
Having said this, you can get a better understanding of why you should buy a water purifier after you have gained an idea of the major impurities found in water.
Also, look into the various sources that make water impure. The image below shall give you an idea.
Take note of the fact that water from lakes, harvested rainwater and rivers bear less total dissolved solids.
On the other hand, water consumed from borewells or groundwater has a higher content of total dissolved solids. This water may also contain lead, arsenic, etc. Piped water, which many in India consider safe, is worryingly, especially vulnerable to biological contamination.
2. What are the various types of water purifiers?
Before buying a water purifier it is desirable that you know what the various kinds available in India are. We begin with:
2.1 Reverse Osmosis Purification
It’s useful to know what osmosis is before we explain what reverse osmosis is. The osmosis process involves the natural flow of water from low solute concentration (low TDS) areas to high solute (high TDS) concentration ones passing through a membrane. The water molecules being smaller pass through the small pores of the membrane while the dissolved impurities are trapped in it.
2.1.1 Total Dissolved Solids
Total dissolved solids (TDS) is a scientific measure of the net amount of substances – both organic and inorganic – present and dissolved in water in any form – molecular or ionized. The operational definitions involve a particular conditionality that the solids must be minute enough to make it through a 2 mm filter.
Total dissolved solids usually don’t include salinity and are discussed solely for freshwater systems.TDS isn’t generally counted amongst primary pollutants. There is no direct correlation between TDS and health. It is simply an aesthetic indicator of potable water and is used as a combined indicating value of the presence of a broad array of chemical contaminants.
2.1.2 Reverse osmosis, on the other hand, does the opposite. This process involves pressure being applied to ensure that the water molecules flow from high TDS areas to the low TDS ones. The impure water, which is the water with high TDS, is made to flow to the region of low TDS by applying external pressure. In other words, the natural flow of water is reversed. The water, while passing through the membrane, has the impurities left behind. These impurities are let out through an outlet. The image below will make things clear for us.
As its pros, reverse osmosis water purifiers have the following factors working in their favor. We now take a peek into them.
- Not just killing the viruses and bacteria, RO water purifiers also ensure that the dead particles are totally filtered out.
- It ensures that all harmful elements like lead, arsenic and the dissolved salts are removed from the water.
- Coming with a mineralizer, RO purifiers ensure that the water retains all its natural minerals.
- These, being compact is easy to operate and maintain.
On the other hand, the cons of RO water purifiers are:
- A lot of water is wasted through the reject mechanism
- It has to be operated with electricity. As such, power cuts, common in India, render it useless every now and then
- Only about 50% of the water can be used with the other 50% being wasted.
2.2 Ultrafiltration Based Purifiers
Similar to reverse osmosis, ultrafiltration also involves passing the water through a membrane, but with larger pores. While in reverse osmosis, the pores are very small (0.0001 microns), UF uses a membrane with much larger pores (0.01 microns). The flow of water is therefore natural with no external pressure being applied. As such, these purifiers can operate without electricity. The image below shall give things more clarity
To gain a better understanding of which water purifier will be the right purchase, we now look into the pros and cons of ultrafiltration water purifiers.
The pros of using ultrafiltration water purifiers are:
- Can operate without power: This factor assumes greater significance for anybody in India. Power cuts are common here. These water purifiers work by applying natural gravitational force on the water. As such, ultrafiltration water purifiers are especially useful in smaller towns and villages.
- Cleans the water thoroughly: These purifiers not only eliminate germs and bacteria but also remove all the dead particles. With environmental pollution on a continuous rise in India, this factor makes ultrafiltration water purifiers worth a buy.
- Strong enough to clean even turbid water: These purifiers are known to not only kill germs, but they can also purify muddy water too. We realize that reliable sources of potable water are not always accessible in India. Under the circumstances, the ability of these purifiers to clean even muddy water makes them useful.
- They never fail: With larger pores; the membranes in these purifiers are sturdier than in other filters. As such, they are not prone to regular damage. These purifiers are therefore a reliable workhorse for every household.
- Long-lasting: As these purifiers can be cleaned easily manually, the cleaning is more effective with all the germs being flushed out. That makes these purifiers easy to maintain and they are long-lasting too.
On the flip side, the cons of using an ultrafiltration filter are:
- Soluble elements still remain: As the pores of the membrane are large, the soluble dirt in the water is not separated. It passes through the membrane and stays with the water. As such, the purification process isn’t complete.
- The odor still remains: As the process of cleaning is natural, any odor that the water may have is retained. This might be a major headache for us in India as even the tap water here has a strong odor in most cities and towns.
2.3 Ultraviolet Purifiers
Ultraviolet purification uses the process of shooting UV rays at the water killing germs and bacteria in the water. As the process of filtration through a membrane is not a part of this process, purifiers using this method of purification should be used only in areas with low TDS water.
Coming to the pros of using ultraviolet water purifiers, bear in mind that such purification takes the process of water purification to another level altogether. This is the only process that can effectively destroy microorganisms in your water. So, the pros can be noted down as:
- Chemical Free: As the water is passed through high-intensity UV rays; there is no use of chemicals. The purified water is, therefore, odor-free.
- Environment-Friendly: As no chlorine is used in the purification of water; there is no emission of any by-products.
- Easy Maintenance: All that these purifiers need is an annual maintenance service. This makes it easy to use and reliable.
- Reliable and Safe: They work round the clock being a reliable friend of yours and offer unparalleled safety as no chemicals are used.
- Clean and Fast: Filters using this method of purification require no cleaning of any messy parts. It is also fast as water passes through the system with no need for any holding mechanism.
- Low Use of Energy and Helps Conserve Resources: These purifiers use very little power, and they conserve water as there is no wastage.
UV purifiers, despite all their pros, have some cons:
Failure to Treat Dissolved Impurities: While UV purifiers undoubtedly kill bacteria and germs, they fail to treat dissolved elements like fluorides or pesticides. Farmers in India are known to use pesticides widely. UV purifiers might turn out to be toothless after all.
Failure to Remove Dead Particles: As the purification process involves no filtering, while the bacteria and germs are indeed killed, the dead particles still remain.
Failure In Treating Dirty or Muddy Water: We should take care to see that the water meant for UV purification is first treated for mud and dirt. Only after that should the water be passed through UV purification. This is because only the process of filtration can separate mud from water.
Unreliable: Running on electricity, they cannot be operated in the event of power cuts. With no internal storage, these purifiers may turn out to be a liability if you run out of bottled water in your house during a power cut.
Not Possible to Know When It’s Not Functioning: As these use UV lights that are not visible to naked eyes, it is impossible to know when the purifier is not working. That’s why; we might end up consuming contaminated water in the event of a malfunction.
2.4 Tap Mounted Water Purifiers
Comprising of sediment filters that also can treat carbon, these offer the most basic water purification process. These purifiers come with a filter that can remove mud and sand along with chemicals and microorganisms. Users need to fit them directly to the taps.
An advanced version of tap or faucet-mounted water purifiers are Gravity Based Water Purifiers. These come with two storage units, one for the purified water and the other for the water that is being purified.
A look into the pros and cons of using these filters show some factors that work in its favor are:
- Being relatively inexpensive
- Ability to switch between filtered and unfiltered water
- Being easy to install
- Being ideal for drinking and cooking water
There are also certain factors that are a drawback, like:
- Not fitting into all faucets
- Decreasing the rate of water flow
- Filters needing change now and then
- Could be expensive at times
- Might take up considerable space
Before we move ahead to deciding which water purifier is the best one for you, we now look into certain points that need consideration before you go ahead and buy one. We should know whether the water we drink is hard or soft. While the municipalities supply soft water, hard water comes from bore wells and may contain metals, arsenic and fluoride.
- Consider only RO water purifiers for hard water
- Soft water does not need an RO water purifier. Opt for UV water purifiers if the water is highly contaminated.
- Go for purifiers that combine both RO and UV for hard, contaminated water.
With each water purifier meant to purify a certain kind of water, it is therefore of utmost importance that you know what kind of water is available in your area. Only after getting to know that can you decide on the water purifier that best suits you.
Your decision should be based on the contamination level and whether the water is hard or soft. The table below will make things clear.
|Type of Water||Type of Water Purifier|
|Hard Water with high contamination||RO + UV Purifier|
|Hard Water with low contamination||RO Purifier|
|Soft Water||UV Purifier|
Also Check: Best Geysers and Water Heaters of 2021
FAQs Regarding Best Water Purifiers in India:
1. What problems could untreated water cause?
Untreated water whether supplied by the municipality or drawn from groundwater reserves can contain a wide variety of physical impurities, biological pathogens and dissolved chemicals which may be extremely harmful to your health. Waterborne diseases are one of the leading causes of death the world over and with Jaundice, Cholera, Typhoid, and Gastroenteritis always doing the rounds, one should be careful before consuming untreated water.
2. What are the purification options available?
Untreated water can be purified using a variety of methods like Chlorination, Boiling, Ultra Filtration, Disinfection (UF) via Ultra Violet Light (UV) and Reverse Osmosis (RO). Most modern water purifiers use UF, UV, and RO in a combined and complementary manner.
3. Why is a combination of UV, UF, and RO necessary when UV lights kill all bacteria and viruses?
While it is true that Ultra Violet Light systems can kill living pathogens like bacteria and viruses, it has no effect on the detrimental and potentially dangerous presence of dissolved solids and harmful chemicals present in untreated water. It has no effect on salinity and cannot remove heavy metals, pesticides, rust and arsenic from untreated water. Only when UV is used with Reverse Osmosis can one be assured of pure and safe potable water.
4. How does Reverse Osmosis complement UV systems?
Reverse Osmosis (RO) systems force untreated water against a semi-permeable membrane which prevents harmful chemical compounds and dissolved solids from passing through. RO in combination with UF and UV systems ensures complete purification of water which leaves almost no impurities in your water. The process removes all organic and inorganic compounds present in untreated water and gives you safe potable water round the clock.
5. How do I purify hard water?
A water softener uses common salt to regenerate an ion exchange resin which results in soft water. Any water purifier that uses nanofiltration and reverses osmosis should soften water with ease.
6. What purifier should I use for soft water?
Soft water is sweet in taste and doesn’t have the harsh bitterness of hard water, but untreated soft water can also be harmful due to the presence of chlorine and pathogens amongst other things. Almost all UV, UF, and RO compliant water purifiers are capable of handling soft water.
7. How often should one change filter cartridges?
This depends on the capacity of your filters. Filtering capacity varies from 2000 litres to over 6000 litres depending on the brand, model and makes of the product you use. The time period within which you will need to change your filter cartridges depends on a wide variety of variables like the quality of the untreated water you use, the number of impurities present in it and your general usage levels. Generally, cartridges are changed every 6 to 12 months.
8. How much energy does the average water purifier consume?
While the net annual energy consumption depends on how hard the purifier needs to work on the untreated supple, on an average, this ranges from around 200 to 300 watts per year.
9. How often should the water purifier be cleaned?
Cleaning depends upon your own preferences and how much time you have available. In general, the tank should be cleaned about once every two months in winters and around once a month during summers due to the corresponding high water usage.
10. Why is after-sale service an important consideration?
Water purifiers need maintenance and servicing periodically. It is essential that your purifier is up to date for it to work efficiently and keep you safe. Opt for brands that have a reputation for responding efficiently to complaints and requests. This makes the entire experience simple and hassle-free.
11. Do water purifiers use safe plastics?
All branded water purifiers use high-quality plastic of the non-toxic variety that is certified food grade. The plastics used are corrosion resistant and have no effect on the taste or the odor of the purified water.
12. How much water can purifiers hold on an average?
The water purifier capacity varies from model to model. Usually, purifiers can hold anywhere between 9 to 20 liters of water on average.
13. What can one do if their purifier starts leaking?
Leakage is a possible malfunction in water purifiers. If you are experiencing any leakages turn off the power switch immediately. Unplug the power cord and check if all fittings are still correctly placed. If you cannot single out the source of the leak, call your brand’s customer care number and place a repair request.
We hope we have given you enough information to help you pick the best water purifier in India that suits your needs. We have checked a wide range of them, from the advanced, designer products to ones to the economic and effective ones. While some use the latest technologies, others have chosen to fall back on more traditional methods of purifying water. There are a plethora of water purifiers available in India. This guide, we hope, will help you find your way through.
Having said that, we now take the liberty of picking the two which we feel stand out among all the others in the market. The first one we have chosen is the Havells Max 7-litres RO UV Water Purifier, as it offers a very effective and thorough purification of water. That’s primarily because of the extensive seven-stage purification process it uses. It has effective alert mechanisms in place that alert of any contingencies. You won’t be caught unawares when say, the filter malfunctions.
The second best is the TTK Prestige Tattva 2.0 Copper 16-Liter Water Purifier. We feel so as it falls back on the time-tested traditional gravity-based technology to purify water. That’s why the purification process of the water is totally free of chemicals and the copper container adds the health benefits of the metal to the water.
We hope the information we have come up with is useful to you. Good luck with your mission of finding the right one!